Unit - I
Embedded Computing : Introduction, Complex Systems and Microprocessor, The Embedded System Design Process, Formalisms for System Design, Design Examples. (Chapter I from Text Book 1, Wolf).
Unit - II
The 8051 Architecture : Introduction, 8051 Micro controller Hardware, Input/Output Ports and Circuits, External Memory, Counter and Timers, Serial data Input/Output, Interrupts. (Chapter 3 from Text Book 2, Ayala).
Unit - III
Basic Assembly Language Programming Concepts : The Assembly Language Programming Process, Programming Tools and Techniques, Programming the 8051. Data Transfer and Logical Instructions.
(Chapters 4,5 and 6 from Text Book 2, Ayala).
Unit - IV
Arithmetic Operations, Decimal Arithmetic. Jump and Call Instructions, Further Details on Interrupts. (Chapter 7and 8 from Text Book 2, Ayala)
Unit - V
Applications : Interfacing with Keyboards, Displays, D/A and A/D Conversions, Multiple Interrupts, Serial Data Communication. (Chapter 10 and 11 from Text Book 2, Ayala).
Unit - VI
Introduction to Real – Time Operating Systems : Tasks and
Interrupt Routines in an RTOS Environment. (Chapter 6 and 7 from Text Book 3, Simon).
Unit - VII
Basic Design Using a Real-Time Operating System : Principles, Semaphores and Queues, Hard Real-Time Scheduling Considerations, Saving Memory and Power, An example RTOS like uC-OS (Open Source); Embedded Software Development Tools: Host and Target machines, Linker/Locators for Embedded Software, Getting Embedded Software into the Target System; Debugging Techniques: Testing on Host Machine, Using Laboratory Tools, An Example System. (Chapter 8,9,10 & 11 from Text Book 3, Simon).
Unit - VIII
Introduction to advanced architectures : ARM and SHARC, Processor and memory organization and Instruction level parallelism; Networked embedded systems: Bus protocols, I2C bus and CAN bus; Internet-Enabled Systems, Design Example-Elevator Controller. (Chapter 8 from Text Book 1, Wolf).
TEXT BOOKS :
1. Computers as Components-principles of Embedded computer system design, Wayne Wolf, Elseveir.
2. The 8051 Microcontroller, Third Edition, Kenneth J.Ayala, Thomson.
1. Embedding system building blocks, Labrosse, via CMP publishers.
2. Embedded Systems, Raj Kamal, TMH.
3. Micro Controllers, Ajay V Deshmukhi, TMH.
4. Embedded System Design, Frank Vahid, Tony Givargis, John Wiley.
5. Microcontrollers, Raj kamal, Pearson Education.
6. An Embedded Software Primer, David E. Simon, Pearson Education.