Production and Operations Management (Syllabus)
The Objective of the course is to enable students to understand the production Planning and Controlling aspects of a typical production and operations organization. To study understand the concepts of work study and Quality management.
1. Introduction: Overview of Production and Operations Management (POM) Function,
Historical Development of POM, POM scenario Today.
2. Product and Process Design: Product and Process Development, Manufacturing Process Technology, CAD/CAM,
3. Facilities Management: Location of Facilities, Layout of Facilities, Optimization of
Product/Process Layout, Flexible Manufacturing and Group Technology.
4. Aggregate Planning: Preparation of aggregate demand Forecast, Specification of Organizational Policies for Smoothing Capacity Utilization, Determination of feasible Production Alternatives and Determination of Optimal Production Strategy.
5. Scheduling: Scheduling In Job, Shop Type Production, Shop- Loading, Assignment and Sequencing, Scheduling In Mass, Continuous and Project Type Production, Line balancing Lob, Methods of Production Control.
6. Work Study : Method Study, Work measurement, Work Design, Job Design, Work Sampling, Industrial Engineering Techniques.
7. Productivity: Basic Concepts, Productivity Cycle, Productivity Engineering and Management, Total Productivity Model.
8. Quality management: Economics of Quality Assurance Inspection and Quality Control, Acceptance Sampling, Theory of control charts, control charts for variables and control charts for attributes -Total Quality Management - ISO 9000 series standards, Six Sigma.
· Operations Management for Competitive Advantage, Chase, Aquilano, Jacobs: Tata McGraw Hill
· Modern Production/Operations Management, Elwood S.Buffa and Rakesh K.Sarin,Wiley
· Production and Operation Management, Aswathappa K Himalaya Publishing House, Mumbai.
· Operations Mangement, James R.Evans and David A.Collier, Cengage, 2009
· Production and Operations Management, R. Panneeselvam: PHI Learning Private Limited.
· Production and Operations Management, SN Chary, Tata McGraw Hill,
· Operations Management, Mahadevan, Pearson Education,
· Production and Operations Management-Text and Cases, Upendra Kachru, Excel Books,